The excellence of The Medical Capital’s cardiovascular sector is understood world-wide. The sector is supported by one of the largest concentrations of prestigious research hospitals and academic institutions in the United States. Cleveland Clinic has ranked #1 in heart and heart surgery for 23 years in a row.
The cardiovascular sector in Northeast Ohio was formed through a combination of world-class research and development of novel technology that led to dramatic exploratory and state-of-the-art surgical procedures. In 1947, surgeons at University Hospitals successfully used defibrillation to revive a patient, and 10 years later, Cleveland Clinic surgeons implanted the first artificial heart in an animal model. By 1960, Cleveland Clinic had discovered moving cine-coronary angiography and performed the world’s first published coronary artery bypass.
In 2006, the Ohio Third Frontier awarded a $60 million grant to create the Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center (GCIC). The GCIC develops, incubates, and commercializes cardiovascular technology. Its mission is to form, attract, expand and retain cardiovascular companies in Ohio. Seventeen cardiovascular companies have moved to Northeast Ohio since 2008 and, to date, 66 product development funding awards have been granted totaling $21.5 million, leading to more than $1 billion in follow-on funding.